Digressions of a Dilettante

Digressions of a Dilettante
Vignettes of Inanity by Bud Hearn

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Famous Last Words

Friends: Famous Last Words

Chaotic WEEK, I'd say...financial-world meltdowns, discussions about race, anniversary of an unpopular and costly war, infidelity in high places and political posturing on all sides are some examples. What is Truth, we wonder?

It is also what's called "Holy Week" in the Christian Church, and 2000 years ago it was just as chaotic. It all got me thinking about "last words"...those final thoughts expressed just before the lights went out. Here are a few for you to ponder:

Bogart: "I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis."
Julius Caesar: "Et tu, Brute?"
Churchill: "I'm bored with it all."
Edison: "It's very beautiful over there."
Heine (poet): "God will pardon me--that's his line of work."
King Louis XIV: "Why do you weep? Did you think I was immortal?"
My Banker: "I loaned him how much?"
Redneck: "Hey y'all, watch this."

The Gospel of St. John, 19:30, records the last words of Jesus: "It is finished." I suspect words from One being crucified might have significant meaning, perhaps interpreted as: Relief, or hopelessness, or rejection. But I suggest He might have meant "Thanks, the Redemption is now accomplished." At least that's how I like to interpret these final words.

So this Week I consider what my "final words" one day might be.

Since the voice of Age 66 whispers, "fewer days, fewer days," I think I will begin rehearsing what I hope will someday be my last words: "Thanks for it all...", spoken with a smile as I see the curtain fall!

May the Words of Good Friday yield for you an Easter Sunday of renewed hope and joy amid a chaotic world.

Bud
March 20, 2008

No comments: