Digressions of a Dilettante

Digressions of a Dilettante
Vignettes of Inanity by Bud Hearn

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Held Together by a Thread

Early Saturday Morning... even the dogs asleep, caffine jucing my genes, I take this title and decide to let my mind really run free, to see what might come out...an experiment...don't try it: You will shock even yourself! here it is:



Held Together by a Thread


Tenuous at best our life consists

Locked daily in desolate straits

of time and need

of illusion and greed

of now not later,

Rushing and running through naked streets

filled with whores and yesterday's detritus

and grim realities of tomorrow.

Headlong, plunging blindly, grasping,

breathing in the filth of life,

grime and dark smears,

Black Eyes of souls, lifeless, irrelevant, mechanical, predictable, manicial,

Screaming:

Look at me

Give me

Affirm me

Notice me

My need, my hurt,

my, my, my

A sickening litany.



Waiting---for What?

Escape?

to what, to where, another place?

The Diner on the Dusty Desert highway maybe,

Where Freedom is an illusion,

littered with laughing voices, roaring, faster still?

Here?



Time, The Shadow, relentless in pursuit,

mocking our movements,

laughing hideously at all efforts of escape...



Stop! The Shadow waits, knowing we will move again

Running against its pursuit.....Do something! Now! It can't wait,

But What?

Doesn't matter---more---hold it together, it will melt

Move, Now, How?



Never mind... another knee-jerk reaction The Shadow expected as

Tricks in a mind unwound,

winding again,

won't work

the Thread winds tighter still


Then.....

Then, Silence

It sleeps

Motion ceased.



Time moves, silently against the backdrop of light,

Shadows of itself, as mental threads weave slowly

the Pattern of Another's choice

against all defense of will.



Fingers tire, release first

The heart quietens,

head light,

terror subsides

Temporary, only temporary

Smouldering, The Fire of Passion will burn again.

Soon.



Outside birds move in jerks, singing cheerless songs--they must sing their songs

Of what?

Who can tell...


And of us, of us,

Who can tell?



Lives, Held Together by a Thread.


March 29, 2008

No comments: