Digressions of a Dilettante

Digressions of a Dilettante
Vignettes of Inanity by Bud Hearn

Friday, November 9, 2007

The Claxton Fruit Cake...An American Icon

THE CLAXTON FRUIT CAKE...
AN AMERICAN ICON

It happened suddenly and without warning...the huge billboard, blood red, black and white leapt off its posts and visually assaulted me with its simple message: Claxton Fruit Cake, World Famous.

I quickly recovered as I rode by, remembering why I had ventured to Claxton, Georgia in the first place. It was to honor an invitation from my pal, Paul Parker, to take a day off and tour The Claxton Bakery, Inc., the origin of the world famous Claxton Fruit Cake. And here I was on this crisp Fall day, excited to learn about fruit cake making.

I also wanted to know the relevance of fruit cakes in our culture and to perhaps dispel the nasty rumor that The Claxton Fruit Cake might be moving to Ludowici for more favorable tax treatment.

So, here I was, in Claxton, Georgia, The Fruit Cake Capitol of the World, so the 200 foot water tower boasted in the arrogance of height. In its shadow stood a set of sleepy, non-descript buildings, home of The Claxton Bakery, Inc., looking unchanged from 1945 when Albert Parker bought it from Savino Tos, an Italian immigrant. It was like being inside a scene from an Edward Hooper painting, where time and change seems to stand still, so slight are the noticeable changes from the past. Only the computer terminals give it away. Savino Tos had a dream and Albert Parker bought into it...and the dream came alive. It was exciting for me to be within the bubble of this dream!

The bakery "headquarters" is deceiving...ostentatiousness is unnecessary in Claxton. Inside, it has the air of staunch South Georgia stability--gravitas you might say--and the second generation of Parkers, Mid (Middleton), Paul, Betty P. Smith and Dale, along with a handful of faithful employees, now bake over 2 million pounds each year of "home made" fruit cake. It is a single-product operation, and it is distributed worldwide. This is a real no-nonsense operation… work ethic and bottom-line economics are as highly prized here as philanthropy and charity, all the bedrock philosophy of The Claxton Bakery, Inc.

The Claxton Fruit Cake put this small town of 2,276 souls on the map. Situated at the crossroads of U.S. Highways 301 and 25, Yankees heading to Florida discovered the fruit cake, and word got around through the Civitan Clubs of America that this was a excellent product for use in fund-raising events. From that simple start it became world famous. The easy pickings on Yankees along Highway 301 are now over since I-95 opened. So the Parkers have discovered a brand new crossroads for distribution of the fruit cakes: the internet. And they are feverously working that highway for the next generation of business.

Paul gave me a tour of the operation which, like about most everything else in rural South Georgia, hasn't changed much since 1945---same process, same equipment … 65 years of "the same old same old." The warehouse bulged with fruit and nuts from vendors large and small across America, while immigrant employees and locals together mingled cordially in a spotlessly clean work environment. I considered applying for a job, but Paul quickly squelched the idea, suggesting my nefarious nature might be disruptive…..while he didn’t actually say so, I figured he was probably concerned I’d unionize the staff! Disappointed, I let it pass.

But I had questions for him. "Is the fruit cake a relevant product today," I asked Paul. "Absolutely," he countered quickly. "Why," I ventured? "Bud, as long as holiday traditions of Thanksgiving and Christmas hold, the Claxton Fruit Cake will grace tables across this land. The fruit cake began in 14th century Rome, extended throughout Europe and now America. It is no whimsical fad, but a viable product. People love it, and not even The Tonight Show’s inane jokes affected us…..we’re still here and where’s Carson?" Wow, I thought.

The third generation of Parkers, Will and Abe, Dale's sons, are the insurance that The Claxton Fruit Cake will continue. Paul, with his feet propped up on the desk, and in his laid-back country drawl said, "Pal, we've got 'sticking power,' and we're here to stay". I believed him because I saw the fire of Albert Parker's dream burning in the eyes of all of ‘em. And believe me, you don't want to mess with South Georgia folks with these kinds of convictions!

One always knows when it's time to say "goodbye" in South Georgia, ‘cause they offer you a gift, usually something edible. Today was no exception. About 4 o’clock Joe Miller suddenly burst excitedly into Paul's office with a big bag of fresh country sausage, and after several packets were "forced" on me, I knew my time to leave had come.

I eased out of the side door, careful not to be detected by the reviled OSHA detective skulking around in the rear alley looking for code violations and vermin and slid on out of town. Heading south on Hwy. 301, the huge water tower in my rear view mirror reminded me of where I'd been...The Fruit Cake Capitol of the World.

Things need closure with me, and I tired to put it all together as my car sliced through the quiet countryside. I liked the thought of Mr. Tos, a penniless, Italian immigrant with a dream, who began something special that passed on down to the Parkers who continue to embrace the same dream. The fruit cake, with its multiple ingredients, in microcosm seems to represent the labors of many, all with a dream of some sort, big or small, and it represents the "fruits" of their collective labor.

I know, I know--it's hard to put flesh on the esoteric, and maybe my reach exceeds my grasp. But the thought made me smile and it stayed with me for some time.

Claxton faded in my view, but its claim to be the Fruit Cake Capitol of the World lives on. Albert Parker's spirit still walks the corridors of The Claxton Bakery, Inc. and his dream is vividly alive and well...for "… by it, he, being dead, yet speaketh."

Perhaps during these holidays we'll all cut into one of these juicy Claxton Fruit Cakes, and in so doing will remind ourselves to celebrate the common bond we have with each other as Americans.

So, from this Fruitcake to you, may we always find God blessing America, and long live the tradition of The Claxton Fruit Cake, An American Icon.....and Ludowici is out of the running!


Bud
November 9, 2007

No comments: