Digressions of a Dilettante

Digressions of a Dilettante
Vignettes of Inanity by Bud Hearn

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Lent...A Subtle Reminder

Friends: Lent...A Subtle Reminder

"I tell you, the past is a Bucket of Ashes." Carl Sandburg

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, and forehead ashes adorned the devout. It's strange to see ashes on folks walking on the beach. For 40 days we will wail and gnash under the burden of penitence and fasting, smiling and abstaining under the commitment.

Lent is a harsh regime... failure is always at hand, so I wear ashes and sackcloth in hopes of not being blasphemous. But alas, even as you also lament, to begin is easy; and while the spirit is willing, the body is weak, and we are soon crushed under such strict discipline. Oh, that chocolate never looked so good!

But this year I’m after it big time ~~ no more "giving up" of small stuff like iced tea, sausage and biscuits, cokes, chocolate, desserts, gravy, wine and scotch... Oh no, I want to walk head high, shoulders back, right through those Pearly Gates without interrogation. So, I have taken a giant leap of faith this year.

What, you say? Why, the Renunciation of some Silly Notions I have kept, hoping...here are ten:

1. I will again run 50 miles…. Ha ha
2. All of the opposite gender find me attractive.
3. I may someday be able to actually retire.
4. The lines on my face will soon disappear.
5. My waist and weight will not change.
6. There is no next-day cost to over-indulgence.
7. That just a smile will take you just so far.
8. I will live up to the name of Mr. Wonderful.
9. The toilet lid can always remain up in my home.
10. Friendship works without communication.

I know, I know, impossible, you say. Perhaps. We'll see. But neither can you escape unscathed…as for you, let me give you some to think about:

Guys: The Silly Notions that:
You’re in control.
Golf and tennis will get easier.
You will always remain relevant.
Your children will never mock your goofy mistakes.
You are God's gift to the ladies.

Girls: The Silly Notions that:
You will understand men.
Your Man will some day be perfect (or even acceptable!).
The grass is greener out there.
Men love you only for your beauty.
More makeup will help.

Of course, I could go on, but enough is enough on the subject of Lent and Ashes. Just this: what we have in this life has all been "lent" to us for temporary use, and one day pretty soon we'll have to cash it in for the "bucket of ashes."
But until then, I think I'll continue to try for perfection. If that fails I’ll remember what Carl Sandburg said and let go of some weight, leave some baggage behind and move on. That is what Lent is all about to me.


Bud
February 7, 2008

No comments: